You are here
Surgical Technology Information
What is a Surgical Technologist (“ST”)?
The Surgical Technologist is a vital member of the surgical team functioning under direct supervision of the surgeon and registered nurse in the operating room. The aging of the large baby-boom generation has increased the need for surgical technologists, 因为老年人通常需要更多的手术. Moreover, as these individuals age, they may be more willing than those in previous generations to seek medical treatment to improve their quality of life.
The duties of the ST include:
- Assisting the Surgeon.
- Selecting & preparing instruments for surgery.
- Assisting & operating surgical equipment.
- Monitors medications & irrigation fluids during surgery.
- Provides patient with a safe & caring environment.
Clinical site placement throughout the program will be coordinated by the Program Director/Clinical Coordinator and take place in various hospitals in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Current hospital sites associated with 立博体育登录 Community College offer a range of experience to suit all levels of interest.
- 短期素质培训:立博体育登录的项目只有24个月, including both lecture, laboratory, and clinical components.
- Solid job growth: In Massachusetts, job prospects for Surgical Technologists are expected to grow by 6% from 2021 to 2031.
- Good pay: In 2022, the typical median hourly wage in Massachusetts is $30.47*.
- Room for advancement: A Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) can move up to a First Assistant, OR Sales Representative or continue education into nursing or Physician Assistant or medical school.
- 工作福利包括医疗和其他保险, 401(k) retirement savings plan, 一些雇主还提供学费报销.
*Source: the Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development as published on www.careerinfonet.org. Actual entry-level earnings will depend on the type of employer among other factors.
- Surgery Centers
- Academic Hospitals
- Endoscopy Suites
- Physicians’ Offices
- Labor & Delivery Units
- Medical Sales Representative
- Research & Product Development
Associate Degree Program
The Surgical Technology Program prepares graduates to function as members of the surgical team, assisting the surgeon, operating room nurse, 或麻醉人员在各种手术领域. 手术无菌的理论和实践是该计划的重点. Students develop knowledge and skills in maintaining aseptic technique within the surgical areas of health care delivery.
The program debuts in Sept 2022 and is taking applications for admission to the class starting in Fall 2023.
立博体育登录 Surgical Technology Associate Degree Program is in process for approval by accrediting agency ARCSTSA (Accreditation Review Council on Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting)
- Detail oriented Surgical technologists must pay close attention to their work at all times. For example, they need to provide the correct sterile equipment for surgeons during an operation.
- Dexterity 外科技术人员应该能自如地用手工作. 他们必须能够迅速提供所需的设备.
- Integrity Because they are trusted to provide sterile supplies and quality patient care during surgical procedures, 外科技术人员必须正直.
- Physical stamina Surgical technologists should be comfortable standing for extended periods.
- Stress-management skills 在手术室工作压力很大. Surgical technologists should be able to work well under pressure while providing a high level of care.
立博体育登录 Community College’s Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Accreditation Review Council on Education in Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting/ARC/STSA.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 US Highway 19 N
Clearwater, FL 33763
6 West Dry Creek Circle, Suite 110
Littleton, CO 80120
The ARC/STSA® is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit accreditation services body providing national recognition for higher education programs in surgical technology and surgical assisting, in collaboration with the Commission on Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), in order to promote quality surgical patient care through quality education. The ARC/STSA® is the only CAAHEP-recognized Committee on Accreditation for education programs in surgical technology and surgical assisting.
Massachusetts General Law c. 111 §229 introduced new training requirements for surgical technologists hired after July 1, 2013. 该法规要求在7月1日之后聘用外科技术人员, 2013 to maintain a certified surgical technologist credential or alternative qualification, as defined by the statute. The Association of Surgical Technologists (“AST”) also publishes a Massachusetts Surgical Technologist Law FAQ document which addresses this topic.
Clinical Rotation Component
Please review the Surgical Technology Program Compliance Standards for Surgical Rotation Case Requirements and the First/Second Scrub Role/Observation. Students must comply with the case standard of 120 cases to be eligible to sit for the national certified surgical technology (“CST”) certification examination.
National Certification Exam Outcomes
从外科技术项目毕业后, you will be qualified to sit for the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) examination, a national certifying examination conducted by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). A Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) is recognized as competent in the field. 立博体育登录’s CST.2 outcomes assessment exam (“OAE”) pass rates be viewed by clicking below.
Interested in Applying?
All new applicants should plan to attend a Surgical Technology program information session at 立博体育登录. Check out our Info Session schedule and sign up today. Please visit 立博体育登录’s Selective Admissions page and download the Surgical Technology program admission application. 这将提供课程先决条件的额外细节, health compliance requirements, 申请截止日期和其他重要细节.